søndag 10. februar 2008

Flour Paste as Resist

Quilting Arts Magazine #31 had an article about flour paste resist. It reminded me of my childhood, flour mixed with water was the glue I used for Christmas decorations. Messy and sticky for tiny fingers....I had to give this experiment a try. Here is the result:
The first photo shows the fabric after I spreaded it with the flour paste - 50/50 flour and water. I draw a pattern in the wet paste with a fork and left it to dry overnight.
Next day the paste had dried, and I schrunched the fabric to crackle it. Then I painted it with diluted black fabric paint and allowed the fabric to dry for two more days.
I soaked the fabric in water to dissolve the flour paste - a messy job!! Then I put it in the washing machine - and here is the result. I'm very happy with it. Next step will be to paint the fabric, but I haven't decided which colour!! And I think I'll do this again - the black crackle looks very good.

10 kommentarer:

Doreen G sa...

Wow Lise this looks fantastic--can't wait for the next step.

WayMooreFunQuilting sa...

this looks really good, Lise! It gives me a desire to try it as well! xox -b

Lisa Alff sa...

I love it Lise,now I have to try this too. Post more pics when you are finished. Hugs Lisa

Annica sa...

Väldigt fint! Ser fram emot fortsättningen!

Rice sa...

Very cool, I'm gonna have to try this, thanks for posting it. : )
http://quiltsnmore.blogspot.com/

Myra sa...

I saw this article and want to try it as well. Yours is lovely!

StegArt sa...

Love your results!

Gudveig HN sa...

Nå fikk jeg sett det! Yess - lekkert! Dette må prøves en gang...

Heather P sa...

This is wonderful, Lise! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather in Texas
www.heatherquilts.blogspot.com

Ulla sa...

I subscribe to Quilting Arts Magazine and this was definitely something I need to experiment. I have not yet painted any fabric, but you encourage me by your example!